Yeah. Surprise right?! I actually made two during the week, and then one yesterday and one today. Let me introduce you!
I'm still learning about what fabrics work well together and I like the freshness of this white one with the aqua and green lace. First of all, the pattern is called 'Shelley' from Bra Makers Supply in Hamilton (I think that I need shares in this company,what with the referrals and purchases that I have been making!!!) All the fabrics and notions are also from Bra Makers Supply - apart from the gingham flower and beads, they are from my personal stash. I used the blue and aqua lace on the blue bra here - what a difference there is depending on the main fabric that is used. I love this bra!
At the same time that I made the white/green/aqua bra above, I also made this one with the purple lace. I picked up the lace on my trip to Ann's fabrics, it is a stable lace (no stretch) in a deep purple with white thread that means is picked up beautifully by the main fabric that is also in white. The gingham flower actually matches somewhat better than it appears in the photo. Honest! It took me three evenings after work to make these two white bras - an hour or two each night. Very simple but very effective!
I made this lovely lilac bra on Saturday. The lace is a stretch lace from Ann's Fabrics again. I dillied and dallied for ages trying to determine what combination of fabrics to make this is - and I am really pleased with it. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the stretch lace on this bra and the rigid lace on the other three bras on this post.
The last bra I made was this delicate pink one, that I made today. I cut out all the pieces on Saturday evening and timed myself making it this morning - 2hrs 20mins. Not too shabby! And that included sewing on the ribbon and pearl bow on the front. The bows and flowers that I have used on these four bras are ones that I have previously purchased for card making - so check out your scrapbooking aisle for reasonably priced adornments.
The lace for this pink bra is actually a gathered lace that I have had for years. I carefully unpicked the stitches that held a band that gathered the lace, gave it a good pressing, and it has turned out beautifully. It is more like an embroidered tulle and it all looks so very delicate. The pale colour of this one means that it will get worn a LOT!
I saw that the lovely Carolyn had put up a post today about bra making and using the the proper findings (elastics, rings, sliders etc). I cannot recommend enough how professional your bra will be if you use the correct bits and pieces. You need a stretchy fabric for the back band of your bra - but some thing more stable to support your breasts. Similarly, a good solid elastic is best for the band trim, but something more delicate for the neckline or straps is more appropriate.
And matching rings, sliders and hooks & eyes - gorgeous!!
I used white wire casing (I forgot to pick up the matching lilac - but you can buy it!), but I do like my other trims to match/co-ordinate. One trick I did read about was about having all the colour up front, and then use neutral fabrics/trims for the back. Apparently some of the more expensive RTW designers use that trick.
I do like the insides to look as good as the outsides!!
So here we are - my fabulous four bras for this week! Carolyn also linked to this video - although it deals with foam cups, some of the steps are the same as the ones that I have used for my soft cups. I am hoping to be able to share some news for you pretty soon that will help those of you who want to learn how to sew the bras that I have made, but so not want to travel.
Next up really needs to be some matching knickers/boyshorts, so I think that I will concentrate my efforts on that during the next week or two - and then I can have (for the first time in my life) matching underwears! How exciting!