I needed to make some more work trousers - I made some this time last year and they are now too big on me. I like baggy as I like to be able to move, but I definitely needed to go down a size or two. Fortunately my TNT pattern just needed an inch taken off the side seams and all was well. I'm thinking thought that I will probably need to make further adjustments as the crotch curve is now bordering on being too large, but that is for another day! My trousers are based on McCalls 5239.
One pair as made out of a lovely brushed wool (I made my father's waistcoat out of this fabric, and their was just enough in the off cuts to make one for Mr. SDSC - I'll share that once I have finished it!).
The second pair was made out of a woven cotton stripe (yep, Mr. SDSC's first waistcoat was made out of this fabric). I am finding that the odd shaped leftovers that I have after cutting out trousers for myself tend to leave just enough fabric for a waistcoat, although an agreement has been made that a waistcoat (my father or Mr. SDSC) and trousers (me) made out of the same fabric are not to be worn at the same time - none of this matchy matchyness going on in this house!
Both pairs were lined with some apple green lining picked up in the bargain bin in my local fabric store. They discount a lot of linings - so it is a matter of buying it when I see it, despite the colour! I try and use Bemberg wherever possible, but this has a slight stretch to it and is almost a lightweight satin, so along with the cheery colour I couldn't resist. I have a feeling it may be some kind of lingerie fabric - it is very soft and silky!
I also made a couple more pairs out of a light/medium weight wool suiting that was on sale for just $6/m. I bought a lovely charcoal grey and black. I did take pictures of these trousers, but to be fair - they just looked like black/dark grey trousers - hard to differentiate between them. So here is a down and dirty montage!
I also completed a couple of cardis based upon Burda 8869. The first one was with some very loud pattern fabric that is made up of my colours:
Below I am wearing the brushed wool trousers that I mentioned above:
Lovely. I put four brown snaps down the front, but this cardi looks much better opened. The second one I didn't even bother with buttons or snaps - I like it as a 'slip on' casual long-line coverup:
I also finished off my first pair of socks for the year.
There is a story to this pair of socks, one I wish had never occurred, but a story nonetheless. I started knitting them a month or so ago, had reached the stage where I was getting ready to to decrease for the toes, and tried them on to check for foot length. I have knit this pattern so often, that it is not necessary to try the socks on prior to this moment, but on this occasion, just 20 rows away from completion … . disaster! I had used a different cast on method and the sock was too tight. Sigh. After a trip to the frog pond, I cast on and started up again . . . . .
So, instead of being the last pair of 2014, the ended up being the first of 2015!